Dear members of the World Association for Buiatrics (WAB) and dear friends,
I hope that this letter will find you in good health and spirit considering the pandemic that is affecting us all. We are busy finding solutions to maintain activities in this uncertain period while respecting the mission and objectives of WAB: To promote goodwill and knowledge transfer within the international veterinary community by exchanging and discussing scientific, cultural and personal experiences within the framework of the World Association for Buiatrics. We would like to be back on track and offer the World Buiatrics Congress (WBC) as soon as possible to all its members worldwide.
As you should know, WBC Madrid 2020 will be moved close to the same date in 2021. I believe that we made the best decision under the circumstances. I would like to thank Joaquin Vallejo, Gumersindo de la Riera and all the members of the WBC organizing committee for their full collaboration.
While planning the Congress in Madrid, we also prepared for the next Congresses. With the agreement of the new appointed chair of the Organizing committee, Dr Eduardo Posadas Manzano, we decided to move WBC Cancun 2022 to May or June 2023, thus maintaining an average gap of 18 months between congresses. This allows us to return with a WBC in the fall of 2024 and to continue to have the Congress in even years. In the past, we had congresses as close as 20 months apart.
We are aware that this creates a more demanding situation for participants who travel long distances, but we do not want to penalize local participants, practitioners, students and researchers who wish to share their research results and their experience.
We have no control over the pandemic and must observe international regulations. At this time, we can only hope that we will be able to resume our activities and to maintain our calendar without canceling any congresses. I hope to see you all in good Health in Madrid in 2021. Between then I plan to be In Sofia, Bulgaria in early 2021.
As noted in the Word from the President, I fervently hope that each of you are safe, healthy and reasonably unaffected by the current pandemic. As medical professionals, especially as buiatricians, the concepts of infectious diseases, foreign animal diseases such as Rinderpest and Foot and Mouth Disease, vaccinology, and herd immunity may make this pandemic even more fearsome.
Communications have become even more important during these times. The opportunity for buiatricians worldwide to gather at a World Buiatrics Congress has been delayed by one year and I will miss the opportunity to see many of you this year in Madrid but look forward to having that opportunity in September of 2021 at Madrid 2021.
It is very important for each of the members of WAB to reach out to me as Secretary General in order to update points of contact and provide information regarding upcoming Congresses and also the updates which acknowledge cancellation of any planned events during the Covid-19 pandemic. All members of the WAB are interested in the news from your country and from your association, so please send information about ongoing or upcoming events and activities.
Currently there are 71 World Association for Buiatrics members with the three categories of membership represented as follows: 62 of them being full members (national Buiatrics associations), 4 associate members (multi-national associations or federations) and 5 observers. The criteria for membership in the WAB can easily be found in Paragraphs 5 and 6 of the WAB Statutes. As noted in Paragraph 6, any Buiatrics or Veterinary Association wishing to join the WAB should submit their applications to the Secretary General of the WAB (email@example.com). Such applications will be considered for eligibility for membership by the Executive Committee and the General Assembly of the WAB held at the time of the biennial buiatrics congress.
One of my primary roles as the WAB Secretary General is to promote communication among the current members of the WAB. During the next few months, I would ask that the primary communicator for each WAB member take a few moments to provide the following information: website address and the names and email addresses of the current association President, Secretary and the primary contact persons. Thank you in advance to each WAB member for reaching out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org to facilitate communications. Best wishes for good health.
- Our Liaison Committee chaired by François Schelcher (France) and composed of Luis Poo, Thomas Wittek, Peter Heimberg, Arcangelo Gentile and Émile Bouchard is active between congresses. The objective of the committee is to keep in touch with other organization that would benefit from WAB and vice versa, like international animal health organizations, Universities and students’ chapters.
- Another committee that will be active is the Membership and Nomination Committee (MNC). MNC is responsible for consideration of the membership of the Executive Committee (EXCO) to ensure fair and equitable representation of skills and characteristics. We expect to have new nominations on the EXCO for Madrid 2021. MNC is also responsible for the auditing of all applications from buiatrics associations who wish to apply for membership of the WAB. The Chair of the Committee, Dr Ricardo Spacagna Jordao, will send information and application forms to our members during the months to come.
MEMBERS AND INTERNATIONAL NEWS
- OIE: You may find many answers to your questions regarding COVID-19 and animals on the OIE site. So far there are no links made between COVID-19 and cattle.
- Middle-European Buiatric Associations: Former WAB President (Walter Baumgartner) and Secretary General (Otto Szenci) took charge of writing a Newsletter for the Middle-European Buiatric Associations. You can find many interesting facts related to the members of this very active association: the Polish, Czech, Slovakian, Austrian, Hungarian, Slovenian and Ukrainian Associations. The XX Middle European Buiatrics Congress decided to cancel the event for 2020 due to COVID-19 pandemic.
- AAVMC Public Data: The Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges provides access to data for the general public. The report includes data on faculty, students, applicants and tuition from the 30 US schools and colleges of veterinary medicine and information from 16 Canadian and international members.
- The International Pig Veterinary Society Congress (IPVS) is scheduled on November 3 to 6, 2020 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- The 10th International Sheep Veterinary Congress (ISVC), that was scheduled to be held in Seville from September 20 to 24 2021 together with the 5th triennial Congress of the ECSRHM will be postponed to September 19 to 23, 2022. The ISVC is being organized by the Spanish Society for Sheep and Goat Production (SEOC). The reason that led to this decision is the postponement of the World Buiatrics Congress (WBC) MADRID 2020, to September 26-30, 2021.
- The International Goat Association (IGA) Congress has also decided to postpone the 13th International Conference on Goats to October 3 to 8, 2021 in Eger Hungary.
- Our World in Data: You are invited to look at the information on beef and milk production and consumption on the website ourworldindata.org. Below are four examples of graphics that can be edited interactively to add or remove countries. Much information is available on many subjects.
World Buiatrics Congresses
- WBC Madrid 2021: September 26-30, 2021
- WBC Cancun 2023: May or June, 2023
- WBC 2024: Fall 2024
Other International, regional or national events
- AABP 2020 (USA): Louisville, Kentucky. September 24-26, 2020
- SIVAR (Italy): 22° congresso internazionale Webinar. October 12-16, 2020
- SIB (Italy): 52nd SIB National Congress, Perugia. November 26-27, 2020
- BCVA (Britain): BCVA Congress, Telford. October 22-24, 2020
- XXIst Middle European Buiatrics Congress (Slovenia): Slovenian Buiatrics Association. 2021
- AABP 2021 (USA): Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA. September 23-25, 2021
WAB President’s Award
The selection committee updated the rules on eligibility for the award. The age of eligibility was clarified.
- be a veterinarian
- be 35 years of age or younger (on January 1st of the year of the Congress)*
- agree to attend the next World Buiatrics Congress (WBC)
* Since the WBC was moved to 2021, we will recognize 2020 as the year of the congress.
Gustav Rosenberger Memorial Fund Award:
The award will be presented as planned in 2020 at a virtual ceremony during the ECBHM meeting. Another recognition will be awarded during WBC Madrid 2021. This award is sponsored by MSD until 2021.
Ruminant Well-Being Awards
Following the postponement of the World Buiatrics Congress 2021 in the light of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Ruminant Well-Being Awards have also been postponed. The new application deadline is now March 2021.
BVDzero Scholarship Programme
The scholarship recipients will be invited to attend WBC Madrid in 2021 instead of 2020. Hopefully, all of them will be able to attend the WBC.
World Association for Buiatrics | buiatrics.com
Copyright | WAB | 2020